Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Chicken Sausage and Samosa Pies, Oh my!

The definitive list of the scrumptious pies and other delicacies available for the bloke to choose from on a Friday (which is the ‘I’m not taking a sandwich with me I’m having a pie day’).

Pie dispenser to the academic community of Old Aberdeen known as the “Old Toon Cafe”, staffed by women who would give the fish wifies of Torry a scare, some of whom are the same who served me as a student 22 years ago...

1. Steak Pie

2. Mince Pie

3. Lasagne Pie

4. Stovies

5. Macaroni Pie

6. Steak slice

7. Samosa Pie (a particular speciality very confusing to the Spanish students)

8. Sausage roll

9. Sausage Round

10. Chicken pie

11. Bridies

Amazingly, they DO NOT sell Scotch Pies (Mutton Pie)

Picture the scene as 3 Japanese students have explained to them the difference between a “roll” & a “Round” and the difference between “meat” & “mince”. Top entertainment at our gaff at lunch times I can tell ya.

If you are American as I am, you will love this fabulously Scottish list as much as I do. What is a Samosa pie!?

2 comments:

  1. Samosa is an indian dish, so I'm assuming that it is a combination pie and samosa. Oh they do love to put things in pastry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only do we love things in pastry - we then like to deep fry 'em....

    ReplyDelete